I always hear the phrase “Be yourself”, I try to do that but many people around me would not accept it. For instance, today I went to watch the Sonic Movie and I was really excited for it, but my brother warned me to stop being excited and “autistic”. Another example, a lot of people say that my large, puffy, mushroom-like hair is unacceptable and I have to look “presentable”. Today I got a haircut and I hate it. There are more examples but it would make this too long. I don’t get it, be myself, I am trying at the fullest to do that, but only my closest friends accept it (problem is I seldom see them or talk to them). So others won’t seem to let me be myself… what kind of reality is this?
How should I reply?
- Read the thoughts carefully to understand the emotions behind them.
- Take your time to think before your respond.
- Your words matter. Use them to show support.
- Try to be as honest and open-minded as possible.
- Personal responses go a long way in keeping the community kind, loving and empathetic.