I made a mistake a few months ago.
You know when you say something as a joke, but it turns out to be mean?
And you hurt the person a lot?
And they cried?
I mean, we made up.
And we forgot about it.
But it still haunts me. What if I didn’t say it? What if I was nicer?
My face gets hot and I feel terrible, and want to throw up every time I think about it.
But I keep on thinking about it, and I keep punishing myself for it.
This is my first post, and I came here since there was no one else I could talk to about it.
Ha, I turn to online strangers about my personal life. But in my experiences, online people are usually not worse than people in real life.
What should I do to forgive myself for this mistake?
How should I reply?
- Read the thoughts carefully to understand the emotions behind them.
- Take your time to think before your respond.
- Your words matter. Use them to show support.
- Try to be as honest and open-minded as possible.
- Personal responses go a long way in keeping the community kind, loving and empathetic.