I don’t know if I should be speaking about this here…but recently I’ve been stressing out a lot over my future career choices. I am not able to commit to a particular field and there are SO MANY factors that I will have to consider before getting into a field. I can’t sleep at night because these things are always on my head. Can somebody help me out?
I have been through this. You don’t have to think about a lot of factors before getting into the field. Find what you are passionate about. It can be programming, drawing, literature or sports. It can be anything.
During this pandemic, you have the chance to explore different fields. Look if any of them interests you. And start with it. And remember - 20 minutes of doing something is more valuable than 20 hours of thinking about doing something. This quote helped me get over my depression about my career. Use this time to explore different fields. It takes time. But it does get better. Believe me.
N hey, speak up about what you are feeling. That will definitely help you.
Your now and me friends are here for you.
Take care of yourself, buddy. 🤗
Hey, its okay to be confused. Every career choice depends upon many factors buddy so its fine. Even I was and I am still confused if I should change my career or not. Try making a list of stuffs what you would like to become and write pros and cons of each and remember when you are taking a career it won’t be rainbows and all. there will be many struggle but dnt get scared we and ur parents are all here to support you. So dont expect everything frm a career choice… If u get good salary it might be u wont get the type of work or if u get a good work life then it doesnt mean ur family will be happy with it…so u need to decide which one to negotiate with and then decide but i would say frst take a paper and write all career choices that u think u cn do n make columns like salary, work life, place of work, family interest and whtever factors u think is going to affect u and then decide. and I know you can make a good decision out of it. Believe in yourself buddy. All the best.
I recently heard that there are four important things to consider when deciding on a career:
1. What are you passionate about?
2. What are you actually good at doing?
3. What does the world need?
4. What will make you money?
The most ideal career is the one that can hit all four points for you. But out of those four things, one or two of them might be more important than the others. Depending on what you prioritize more, you can make a pro/con list and see if your most important priorities are met.
I originally chose a career path that I was very passionate about. But after investing a lot of time and money on getting a degree and entering the field, I realized I sucked at that job. So then I quit that job and went back to school. This time I picked a subject that I was a little less passionate about, but it was something I was very skilled at. The job is in high demand and it makes a lot of money. So I hit all four points this time and it’s working out much better for me.
Anyways the point is, even if you end up picking the wrong career, it’s never too late to pick another one later. So don’t get too anxious and just have fun with it. Life is an experiment.
Let me tell you something about my career choices and achievements.
1. I am a mathematics Olympiad winner, ranked 44 AIR. (2008)
2. Got admission into one of the top 10 engineering colleges of India (2011)
3. My research paper won first prize nationally among 400 participants from top NITs and IITs (2014)
4. I am national level Tata Steel QUIZ winner. (2014)
5. I had a band in college and have done more than 20 stage performances till now. (2012-2015)
6. I got 3 jobs from my college and chose the one that paid the highest salary. The company was Reliance Industries Limited. (2015)
7. Awarded the best trainee award in my company. (2017)
8. Got 2 awards for being one of the most efficient employee in the company.
9. Left the company and worked in an NGO for 7 months. Helped to develop a model village powered by solar and wind. (2018)
10. Cracked CAT and got admission in IIM. (2019)
11. Won 3 college level and 1 national level competition in IIM. (2019)
12. Got one of the best internship opportunity from college with a 6 figure stipend. (2020)
13. Did 3 band performances in college. (2019-2020)
Okay now let me ask you a question. Just by reading about my achievements what do u feel? Am I too intelligent? Am I too passionate? Or am I all sorted from inside? Let me tell you all these are bullshit. There are a few simple logics of life that you must understand and all your problems will be sorted and you will find what you want to do in life.
Firstly understand that there is nothing called PASSION. Even if it exists, it happens to be in 1 person in every 1 Crore people. Passionate people might say that they are so happy in their job that they forget the world when they work. This sentence is the most bullshit thing I have ever heard. You might like to do things, like painting, cricket, engineering, swimming, whatever. You may feel very good while performing these activities. But when it comes to making money out of these activities and becoming successful in these fields, believe me you will have to work hard like a donkey and make plans like Steve Jobs. You will have to sacrifice your relationships, your time, your health and sometimes even your peace of mind to achieve success. And after 8-10 years of hard work when you become successful people will think you are so passionate in your work. This is how the world works.
So what should u do? Simple, remember 2 quotes. First, “you never take right decisions, you take decisions and then make them right.” Second, “It doesn’t matter what you want, you will only get what you are capable of.” I am a firm believer of these two quotes and these have made my life simple as hell.
While choosing anything to do I look for 3 things, first am I interested in doing it? Interest doesn’t mean that I love doing it and will have orgasms in my job. It simply means that I don’t hate it and I am capable of being one among the average in that field. Second, I look for how many opportunities will that work open for me. And third I look for what will the returns in monetary and learning terms. Because money will help me buying the best drink and best car, while learning will make me capable of achieving even more.
After choosing the work I want to do, I give more than 100% in that work. What does that mean? It simply means that I plan things very efficiently, break my work into milestones, work hard to reach those milestones and party after reaching each milestones. I don’t care that I am deeply passionate about the work or not. All I know is that I have to achieve that milestone. I cannot lose. My ego is more profound than my passion for work. I simply cannot lose. This makes me an outlier among my colleagues and friends. Now how do I get benefited by it?
1. I always end up in jobs that pay me very well and are much better than my friends and colleagues.
2. I get many opportunities and I have the power to choose among them because I am capable and I am a certified winner.
3. People come to me to take suggestions and call me passionate. I get a lot of satisfaction when I am able to inspire them.
4. The satisfaction of winning is the best feeling. Not just the end goal. Achieving every small milestone gives me ultimate level of satisfaction.
5. I am immune to situations like COVID or any other economic breakdown because I have an excellent track record.
6. My network is growing because people think I am resourceful and capable and hence it is opening more opportunities for me.
7. My parents are very happy with me, the smile on their face gives me the best feeling.
Now you decide do you want to waste your time in thinking about whats the best option for you? Or choose one among them based on a few criteria and be the winner in that field. Let me know in the comments
Thankyou for sharing your experience! I was really motivated by your words. So yeah that means I should choose whatever is best among the options I have and strive to be best in that field. Also is it okay to if I would change my field after a few years of working in a particular field? Because I just can’t get enough I always feel like learning an entirely new skill.e
Hey Agent Orange,
I think for the first time I got clarity about my whole confusion of switching my career or not. Those two quotes and the basis on which we must choose a work and then how to do the work later in the most efficient way is enough for me to decide anything here onwards. It’s really great that you are so calm and well focused even after your extraordinary achievements. I don’t know whether the one who had the problem of choosing a career got any help or not but I have got unknowingly. I really don’t regret coming to this site now. Someday I would like to know what made you join this site? You really look soo well sorted out already… :)
Also is it okay to if I would change my field after a few years of working in a particular field? The answer to this question is absolutely YES. Do whatever suits you and makes you feel happy and empowered. Impress yourself first and be as authentic as possible.