I am feeling pretty worthless right now. I’m a stay at home dad whose son is falling behind and I’m getting too overwhelmed lately to even try to help him some days. I joined the marine corps straight out of high school, and got a job immediately until my wife could move with my to attend college. I haven’t been stationary very long for my entire life, and now that I am, I hate it. I feel like a failure. I’m a bad teacher and at times an inattentive parent.
How should I reply?
- Read the thoughts carefully to understand the emotions behind them.
- Take your time to think before your respond.
- Your words matter. Use them to show support.
- Try to be as honest and open-minded as possible.
- Personal responses go a long way in keeping the community kind, loving and empathetic.